Pompeii and Herculaneum

 Pompeii and Herculaneum

In August the Girls came for a visit. We were busy, so they first went up North to Milano and Florence. But then we all went to Napoli for a couple of days. The weather was HOT. But we all managed not to die in spite of the heat and a case of shingles.


The floors in the devastated city of Pompeii were amazing in detail and beauty.



The columns that were still standing or reconstructed were pretty cool. Until I saw the ones at the museum that they saved from looters.



The Theater
The mountain that did all the damage. Looks innocent now.




Walls!



Herculaneum

Although Pompeii is the more well know archeological find, we all agreed that Herculaneum was wonderful too. In fact if you only do one, do Herculaneum.







 


Archaeological Museum in Napoli

Hercules at rest. Interesting fact: at first they couldn't find his legs, so they had a student of Michaelangelo  to craft some legs. They later found his actual legs, so they attached them. They have the other legs on display too. I didn't take a picture of them. I'm not sure why.

The aforementioned columns taken from Herculaneum and Pompii

The base of a table from Pompeii


Ivy taking a picture of this lovely mosaic floor from the 2nd Century AD Rome


Cameo glass take from a burial outside Herculaneum Gate. Does that mean it is an urn?
Model of Pompii
My favorite picture taken at the museum






Comments

  1. Sorry we made you go when it was so hot! And I'm glad you got to experience the museum, too. Those kiddos are pretty cute with that lizard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pictures! And I wish we had seen the museum, too, but I’m just grateful we went.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Rome Temple

I'm always over weight, with my luggage that is.

Let's all panic!